When you need to drill holes in a workpiece, but can't take the piece to a drilling machine, a portable magnetic drill is typically the tool of choice. But when choosing your next magnetic drill, there are a number of points you should consider before any purchase!
CHECK OUT THESE EIGHT CORE FEATURES THAT YOU SHOULD CONSIDER WHEN PURCHASING YOUR NEXT MAGNETIC DRILL.
- Concentricity – A concentric cut is essential to protecting the life of the cutter and the machine. It also ensures a centered clean hole is cut.
- Motor – It is important to have a reliable machine with the appropriate motor strength for the stress the machine is going to be under.
- Gearbox – Gear material is a critical factor. The way in which metals are treated and the material used dictates the life of the machine. This is where the majority of wear takes place in your machine.
- Arbor – This is the tool holder or chuck that allows you to use Twist Drills and Taps on your machine. It is also the term that is used on machines that take annular cutters. The ease of inserting the arbor and the tolerances they are manufactured to are important.
- Slide & Casting – The slide controls the ease at which the machine moves up and down. It also contributes to the stability of the machine which affects concentricity. The Twin Rail Slide System gives you up to 10 times better stability over the Dovetail System, and with reduced friction, there is less wear.
- Magnet – The strength of the magnet needs to correlate to the load the machine will be coming under when drilling. The magnet provides stability and is critical to safety. Ensure your surface and the magnet are clean otherwise you will not have full adhesion to the surface. Once applied, the magnet will allow you to create holes overhead, horizontally or vertically.
- Control Panel – The main interface with the user. This needs to be ergonomic and intuitive. Features such as sensor display, speed adjustment and forward/reverse controls will ensure that your machine is safer and easier to use.
- Ergonomics – The portability and ease of use for the tool. Features like strong body housing, adjustable handles, good quality transport boxes and stabilizers should all be considered.
With Karnasch Magnetic Drills, you are guaranteed to get a durable, accurate, high performing, low maintenance, portable hole cutting machine for a wide variety of applications. Efficient, functional and built to the highest standards, they're ideal for core drilling, twist drilling, countersinking, reaming or tapping, on site - out of the workshop!
KARNASCH MAGNETIC DRILLS ARE USED ACROSS A RANGE OF MANUFACTURING SECTORS INCLUDING:
• Steel Fabrication
• CNC Mobile Machining
• Bridge construction
• Pre-engineered building
• Manufacturing industries
• Rail manufacturing and drilling
• Truck and Ship manufacturing and repair
• Wind turbine manufacturing
• Machine Shops
• Automotive industries
DISCOVER THE KARNASCH RANGE FROM ATA:
• Core drilling up to 140mm
• Spiral Drilling up to 50mm
• Countersinking up to 80mm
• Reaming up to 52mm
• Thread cutting up to 44mm
Here at ATA, we welcome challenges to help customers solve everyday problems to metalworking applications. If you would like to speak to us about a challenging drilling application, or find out how our products could improve your material removal processes, please contact us today.
Remember to follow us on LinkedIn here to keep up to date with new product and company news.